Read about the Mfg Day 2016 experience one group of students had in Albuquerque:
Young people can be hard to impress, but students from Albuquerque’s Academy of Trades and Technology (ATTHS) charter school were visibly stoked by a tour of Rader Awning during 2016 Manufacturing Day events. > READ STORY
See another group’s experience in Taos:
MFG DAY 2016 IN REVIEW
New Mexico celebrated Mfg Day 2016 during the entire month of October. Fifty events took place in 16 New Mexico communities. This figure is way up from last year! Thirty-two companies and organizations, and students from 15 schools across the state participated in events ranging from facility tours to presentations and workshops. During the month-long series of events, New Mexico manufacturing came into the spotlight, and connections were made. Eleven proclamations were issued by mayors and the governor, and joining the tours were legislators and other decision-makers as well as businesses seeking to do business with the hosting companies.
Kicking off Manufacturing Month in the state was Innovation Celebration, New Mexico MEP’s award ceremony in partnership with the New Mexico Small Business Assistance Program (NMSBA) at Los Alamos National Laboratory and Sandia National Laboratories. Other events leading up to facility tours included experienceIT NM; Innovate New Mexico’s Technology Showcase; a New Mexico Small Business Assistance outreach event and luncheon; and the New Mexico MEP-moderated panel discussion “Innovation to Manufacturing” at projectY Cowork.
Student tours and events in the Albuquerque area were:
- Technology Leadership High School students visited QC Group, TEAM Technologies, and Applied Technology Associates at Sandia Science & Technology Park.
- Insight Lighting and other members of the New Mexico chapter of the National Tooling and Machining Association attended the La Cueva High School Career Fair.
- Academy of Trades & Technology students toured OGB Architectural Woodworking and Rader Awning.
- Bernalillo Middle School students toured Insight Lighting and Mezel Mods
- Cemco did a presentation at School of Dreams Academy in Los Lunas
- Cottonwood Charter School in Socorro visited Solaro Energy
- Freanna Yoghurt in Clovis did a presentation at Clovis High School Freshman Academy
In the north:
- Students from Santa Fe Community College’s Greenhouse Management program toured Herbs Etc
- Rio Gallinas Charter School students toured Old Wood in Las Vegas
- Taos Academy students toured Private Label Select
- Deming High School students visited Alta Luna Solar.
Thank you to the following companies and organizations for participating in a range of Mfg Day 2016 events:
Albuquerque area: Aquila Group, Exhib-It!, Glass-Rite, OGB Architectural Millwork, Rader Awning, Insight Lighting, Mezel Mods, Clear Light New Mexico, WESST; Las Vegas, Santa Fe & north central: Las Vegas Business Hub, Old Wood, MAKE Santa Fe, Herbs Etc, Santa Fe Business Incubator, Santa Fe Spirits, Santa Fe Brewing, Black Mesa Winery, Los Alamos Makers, projectY, Eureka Effect, Farmington, Private Label Select, Bloomfield Invents; south central: Aviation Aerospace Career Expo, ARCA Space, Black’s Smuggler Winery, Valencia Flour Mill.