Help build excitement around New Mexico’s manufacturing careers. Submit your video!
The education and workforce development nonprofit Bridge of Southern New Mexico, in partnership with the New Mexico Public Education Department, is requesting recorded personal interviews it can share with students to build awareness about manufacturing careers. The team is particularly interested in showcasing machinists, computer-controlled machine tool operators, tool and dye makers, and mobile heavy equipment mechanics. If your business employs people in these occupations, please invite them to participate by talking about their journey into their position.
Participation is easy and can be accomplished in one of two ways:
- Record yourself answering the questions below (use your phone app or a computer) and email it to Troy Price at Front Porch Studios: firstname.lastname@example.org. He will edit the interviews to capture the information and length of interview needed for the project.
- Reach out to Troy directly to schedule a time for him to interview you through an online platform. You can email him at the address above or call him at 760-607-6724 to set up a time.
The interview will include these questions:
- Where did you grow up and what was it like growing up where you did? Do you have any interesting stories from your childhood that you think happened to you only because of where you grew up?
- Thinking back to when you were in high school, what classes did you take that taught you skills that you use today at your job or at home?
- What are any interpersonal or ‘soft’ skills you have learned that you use at your job or at home? These could be anything from, ‘I arrive 10 minutes early because being on‐time is the same as being late.’ Or ‘I listen twice as much as I speak because I have two ears and one mouth for a reason.’
- Do you need a certification or special license to do your job? How did you earn that?
- What does your typical day at work look like? What do you actually do at work? What is your favorite part of your job? What part of the day do you look forward to the most?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is the next step in your career? What is one thing you are doing right now to prepare you for that next step?
Many New Mexico students do not have an adult they can talk with as they consider their career choices. Your video will be used to inspire students as they contemplate their future.